Sunday, June 21, 2009

Finding My Comforts and Me.

I started this as a way to map out the trips, adventures and memories that I would embark upon but it has slowly began to wither away. The life of a teacher is nothing exciting during the school year, but hopefully that will change during break. Many people know that I have the intention of staying in Korea for another year to see my sixth grade kids graduate, make more money and to see the parts of Asia that I failed to during winter vacation.

I have a tendency of only saying the negative aspects about Korea when talking to friends back at home. I don't often share the good parts because those are the bits that I hang on to. The acidic remarks or condescending behavior is something I need to vent about and then let go which was what I was doing. These remarks have worried a majority of people and their only view of Korea is not that pleasant. I apologize for that. Besides the crazy people that I often come across, life in this country is suitable and rather comfortable. It will come off as me focusing on the negative, but I do have many things that I am grateful for. Even though I have become more reclusive, the small group of friends that surround me are good at keeping me grounded. I make an excellent wage that could put a substantial amount of money into my bank account and that is always a plus. The kids are the biggest reason to stay though. I know people might not understand, but I want to make a difference for them. By giving them a little bit of consistency, even if it is only for one more year, can be a monumental turning point. It might be unhealthy to be so attached to my children, but the little comments or things that they do make me feel like it is worth it.

I have started to decorate my apartment. It began very slowly, but the momentum has picked up. I finally bought real curtains for my balcony windows, with bamboo blinds for my laundry area following soon after. The shower curtain is a room divider for my entryway/bathroom area and the main room. I want to find a beige/tan or chocolate colored area rug to put on the the floor to give the room a little warmth. Also in the search for square wall accents in the same colors to give more character to these bare walls. When I come home, I want to print out some pictures of Las Vegas during the day and night as well as all the things that makes that city special to make a collage. In Korea, they have this really cute idea of hanging up yarn and clipping photos onto it with these tiny decorative clips that resemble the ones you use for clothes. I want to put some pics over my bed. If it is the last thing I do, this apartment will feel like a home for the next year.

No comments: