Sunday, January 4, 2009

Let's Go West! I mean East...








This last Saturday Hye Young invited me to go with her friends for a road trip to the East Sea. Along the way we stopped along the harbor to partake in the freshest sashimi I have ever eaten. In the morning the fish was caught, by mid-afternoon we picked which one we wanted, still flopping around the chef skillfully sliced it up in fifteen minutes and we began to eat. Little did I know that one of the groups' favorite fish is also my favorite sushi fish, halibut. After lunch we walked around the the street market and one of Hye Young's friends bought me two huge packs of dried seasoned fish. This stuff is awesome when you grill it til it is hot and the sweetness of the seasoning caramelizes on the squid. There is nothing better than having a few pieces of these with a nice cold beer. Just talking about it now makes me regret that I decided not to pick some up when I was at the grocery store today.







I have been thinking quite a bit about how much everything has changed and whether it is truly for the best or am I just fooling myself like I did back at home. Changing to one's environment is a natural event but why does it sound as if it is not a change that people want to see in me. I know that I have been rather critical of western ideology and lifestyle lately but that is all I have seen. The positive aspects of the culture was left back in America. Many of the foreigners I have seen act no better than uncivilized baboons. Someone brought up the fact that my moving to Korea was really an attempt to run away from my problems in the state. He said that I have changed quite a bit and that eventually when I do come home there will be traits in everyone that I will not appreciate or dislike. The eventual growth away from some people will be a something to address in the future as well. Well, when that becomes an issue I will deal with it but right now I will send this time working on me.

Here are the pictures from the East Sea and the museum that shows traditional Korean life.





No comments: