Sunday, December 28, 2008

Not Always Easy To Change.

For the last month, I have been saying basically nothing but the positive aspects of living in Korea. Well, this last week, there was a bit of regression in my overall progression. I gave in and bought two ridiculously expensive jars of peanut butter and grape jelly. Even though I love Korean food and want to try all the wonderful new foods, I cannot help but want to cling on to some comfort foods. Before going to dinner with one of my co-teachers/friends I wandered around Lotte Super and made a mental list of the foreign items they carried. After hanging out that night, I went back and picked up the fore mentioned items as well as some bread, pancake mix and syrup. I eat rather healthy here and have lost the cravings for junk food. I never ate that much to begin with but when I wanted something I definitely had to have it.

The alcohol and baked goods consumption has drastically declined and I am happy about that. I have set a goal of losing 40-50 pounds while I am here. I have lost some weight already but I am unsure as to how much. This is probably another aspect of my assimilation into Korean culture. I want to be able to fit into their clothes and dress in awesome bright colors without looking like a balloon.

I will start to run soon, but it seems as if the weather is spiteful.

UPDATE: I got tired of being lazy, so I went out to the girl's high school to run but the students were using it. I did not want to look like a creep so I walked to the elementary school maybe a quarter mile down the road to find that kids were using it as well. This time I feared being seen as a pedophile and went home. I changed and walked around the city for an hour and a half. That will have to do since it must have been more than four miles.

No comments: