Tuesday, December 2, 2008

October 29, 2008











After communicating with everyone through emails, comments and online messengers, I have found a sense of inner peace. I find myself less home sick and more excited about the year ahead of me which is a relief. I am not saying that it will be easy to maintain this point of view throughout, but for now it is present.

My family and friends have expressed how much they missed me, and I, in turn have went done the same with them. I have found the motivation to carry on and have become more acquainted with my co-workers. After work yesterday, I went on some errands with Mr. Sang Kyeun Yi, before he invited me to dinner with his family. He drove me around to pick up most of the essentials that I have been without for the first four days.

Today, I went to watch another foreign teacher in the classroom with a co-teacher. She was impressive and it was helpful to watch her command the classroom. I have to find a rhythm suitable for me though because I will not be able to emulate her style. I did not stay long and was only able to watch one class but I will have another day tomorrow of observation.

After the observation, Ms. Hye Young Yi and I went for lunch and coffee in downtown. The pizza here is sweet; I believe that they put yams into the crush. I find it agreeable, instead of using all of that excess empty carbohydrates, why not use one that adds flavor and nutrients. The food is amazing here, yesterday I ate in the cafeteria of a school and it surely surpassed the crap they try and feed American students. I have regained the concept of portion control, pacing and to avoid most of the unhealthy items. Once I get situated and figure out what the Korean government expects of me I will begin to exercise more. I live right across from the women’s high school and I can see a track from my window.

People in Korea are serious about their beverages, there are numerous coffee shops, stands and shacks all over Jecheon alone. I am not allowed to pay for much and that bothers me. People at home are probably laughing at the fact that I am troubled about not paying my own way, but I do not always mean it when I tell people to give me money. In other words, the nay-sayers can suck it.

I feel for Young, because although she has been in Jecheon for a year she does not have any friends either. She sold her car and moved away from her family and friends to take a job in a different part of Korea. She is sweet and extremely meek; I have invited her to travel with everyone when they come to visit.

It is affordable to come to Korea right now. At dinner with Mr. Yi’s family, him and I were talking about how bad both of our countries economy is. If you can imagine it, the states are still financially better than some countries. The exchange rate as of today is 100 USD equals 1,384.35 KWON.

This experience has been an awkward one to say the least. I am encountering all of the symptoms of culture shock in a hodge-podge fashion. Not sure how people have survived moving before the internet, it must have been an extremely lonely endeavor.

No comments: